The summer is the best season to spend quality time on your patio. Relaxing with friends and family, taking in the sun, hosting parties and barbecues – the sky is the limit! Of course, you want to make sure that you keep all of your outdoor furniture looking its finest, so that you can get the most out of your summer fun. We here at Summer Classics have some tips for keeping your outdoor furniture at its best.
- Keep it Clean. After you’ve spent time enjoying your outdoor furniture, give it some love in return. Choose a method of cleaning that is appropriate for the material that your furniture is made of. Vacuum or brush off loose dirt, then a bit of soap and water, a sponge, and a hose will usually work just fine! Be leery of pressure washing your cushions. The outdoor fabric usually has a backing that when punctured, will harbor mold and mildew. A nylon bristle brush and some elbow grease will do the trick. Sunbrella® outdoor cushions and are made of solution dyed acrylic and can even be cleaned with 1/10 dilution of water and bleach.
- Add Some Protection. Now that you’ve gotten your outdoor furniture as clean as the day you purchased it, it’s time to add an extra layer of protection. Pick up a water-repellant and UV-resistant protector, and then apply it to the frame of your furniture with a sponge. Since the protector will contain chemicals, you should apply it to your furniture in an area with plenty of air circulation – preferably outside. For added safety, you should also wear gloves and a mask. You can also protect your iron and aluminum outdoor furniture by applying a coat of car wax!
- Protect Your Cushions. You can also apply a fabric protector to your cushions at the start of each summer season. As you did with the frame, make sure to clean the cushions and let them dry completely before applying the protector. This will help keep your cushions clean, and has the added benefit of keeping them from fading in the bright summer sun. Like the frame protector, the fabric protector contains chemicals, so make sure to follow all safety directions that come with the product.
- Store to Score. When your outdoor furniture is no longer needed, make sure that you find a good place to store it, or keep it beneath a waterproof cover. If you store your outdoor furniture in your shed or garage, make sure it is as dry as possible throughout the off-season. If you prefer to cover it, choose a waterproof, opaque cover to protect your outdoor furniture from the rain and the sun alike!
- Refinish. If you’ve had your metal outdoor furniture for a few years, you might need to refinish your frames. In a well-ventilated area, cover your floor surface with a tarp. Remove the cushions, rubber caps, and anything else that isn’t metal. Wearing safety equipment, such as a mask and gloves, use a wire brush to remove any rust or old paint. Fill holes using metal filler, and then sand the rough spots down. Apply primer and then two coats of quality paint. Your furniture will look as good as new! Of course, Summer Classics uses state of the art finishing technology, like NT-1 nano ceramic pre-wash and hybrid powder-coat that is 10 times thicker than wet paint, so we hope you never have to.
We here at Summer Classics hope that you will find these tips useful, and that they will help you get the most out of the summer season!