With smoke billowing from the backyard grill and tomatoes (finally) sprouting from your perfectly potted plant, the sounds and sights of summer are clearly around the corner. Well, the corner of June 21st to be exact. While the season is full of treasured moments, bitter heat and sizzling sunburns threaten to steal the joys of summer. A patio umbrella is not only a foolproof accessory to any outdoor space, but also the best way to fight against the unwanted elements of summer. Here are the top 5 things we believe one should keep in mind when purchasing the perfect patio umbrella.
- SPINNING THE COLOR WHEEL: When it comes to selecting your patio umbrella, one of the hardest decisions boils down to color choice. Though bright colors and patterns might be eye catching in the store, they might not compliment your outdoor space quite as well. The rule of thumb we follow is simple, if your backyard is mostly concrete or surrounded by large green shrubbery, then patterns and pops of color are perfect for you. If your backyard is full of flowering plants and colorful pots, then a neutral patio umbrella will help compliment all the hard work you’ve invested in your garden.
- THE SUMMERTIME FADE: Before narrowing in on an exact color, it’s important to remember that outdoor furniture is exposed to the elements, meaning bright pigments will quickly fade under harsh UV rays. Before beginning your patio umbrella shopping adventure, look out your window at the peak of the day to see how much light fills your backyard. If trees seem to block the exposure, then brighter colors are a great option for you. If the opposite is true, then stick to lighter, more neutral colors. However, Sunbrella and other solution dyed acrylics are tested to a minimum of 1500 UV light hours, or 3 years without any fading.
- IF THE SHOE FITS: Patio umbrella sizing can seem intimidating to those unsure of their dining area proportions. We’ve simplified the confusion to a few simple facts. The goal of your umbrella is two reach two feet past the edge of your table. A 9 ft umbrella table is expected to cover around 6 people while an 11 ft table is expected to cover around 9. You can easily find detailed dimensions of Summer Classics patio umbrellas here, making for a simpler buying process.
- AVOID THE BREAK-UP: We’ve all been there. An unexpected summer storm sweeps into the afternoon leaving no time to lower the patio umbrella. Suddenly, your freshly picked patio umbrella is left twisted and mangled on the ground. One can prevent this experience by simply considering the materials used when in the patio umbrella buying process. Before purchasing, for high wind areas check that the ribs are made with fiberglass to ensure their ability to move with the wind rather than against. Also look for aluminum poles because they stand the test of time and many are rust free.
- QUALITY CONTROL: It’s no surprise that we value quality at Summer Classics and that stretches all the way from our furniture lines to our fabric choices. When selecting a patio umbrella, make sure that the fabric feels durable and strong. Just as stands easily snap in heavy storms, fabric awnings can quickly rip when faced with gusting winds.