Spring Outdoor Living Inspiration
Spring is blooming with possibility. As the season of growth and renewal, it’s also the perfect time to rejuvenate your outdoor spaces with fresh additions, big and small. Searching for spring outdoor living inspiration, we caught up with the multi-talented Heather Redding, outdoor styling expert and founder of Towne & Main Interiors. Below, Heather shares her top trends, wish list products, and spring styling tips for the season of new beginnings. Meet us in the garden!
Outdoor Living Q&A with Towne & Main Interiors
What’s trending this spring?
For Heather, the season provides an opportunity to master the mix —vivid hues paired with neutral tones, plus natural wood accented by metal finishes. Gone are the days of one-note palettes…this spring, Heather calls for color, contrast, and shine!
“For several years we have seen the neutral trend take full effect—the use of monochromatic color schemes against neutral palettes. I am excited to introduce bright colors like magenta, purples, and turquoise into our projects this year.
Of course the neutral palette is timeless and creates an easy backdrop to enhance these colors, so don’t say goodbye to those white walls and greige fabrics… we just want to add some new life to our clients spaces!
I am also looking forward to incorporating natural wood tones with painted finishes in furnishings. A mix of painted metals (in classic colors like blue, white, and black) mixed with some natural tones of wood is dynamite—adding texture, warmth and interest.” – Heather Redding
Of course, timeless additions are always in style. An evergreen outdoor space begins with quality furniture and classic lines. Heather also suggests choosing complementary flora & fauna that will thrive throughout all four seasons.
“When I’m considering outdoor spaces, of course I start with timeless furniture selections. The cushions, pillows, and other accessories can easily be changed throughout the seasons. But your furniture is an investment and should last through the years not only in construction, but also in beauty and style.
Another timeless trend is incorporating potted plants. I am very selective when it comes to containers for plants—each one is a piece of art. I look for classic shapes, interesting finishes and subtle colors that will support the colors in the garden, in the furniture and the actual color of the building.” – Heather Redding
Spring Wishlist: 5 Lust-worthy Pieces for Outdoor Living
With snowfall behind us and warm weather ahead, we asked Heather to identify five of her favorite Summer Classics pieces. From contemporary to coastal, these five styles can transform any outdoor space with ease.
● Woodlawn Lounge Chair – “The square arm offset by the angled back leg of this chair is gorgeous. And the upholstered back—yum! I’d use this piece with neutral fabrics for a client that has a contemporary style and would introduce color with bright plant containers and plants.”
● Malta Teak Lounge Chair – “This chair incorporates the exciting trend of mixing natural wood tones with metal finishes. This chair would look great in an outdoor living space for a home with a grandeur architectural style. I’d love to see it with navy cushions and some yellow accent pillows—take it more in a nautical direction!”
● Coast Arm Chair – “The sling design of this chair makes it appear to be floating … a beautiful effect! Because of the simplicity of this piece, it can be used in many settings and against different architectural backgrounds. Put them with a metal dining table for an unexpected, edgy twist.”
● Delray Woven Lounge – “I am completely obsessed with the Delray collection—so simple, so refined. Because of the metal frame and minimal teak, this is an ideal selection for the coastal outdoor space. Keep the styling around this furniture minimal— no pillows or accessories—just let the furniture speak for itself. (Ok, maybe toss a striped throw over the back of the chair for the chilly evenings, because you know you’ll be sitting out there enjoying the salty air into the late hours of the night!)”
Spring Styling Tips: 3 Simple Steps to Springtime Bliss
An outdoor update can be surprisingly simple! Take it from Heather, these 3 quick tricks make a world of difference in transforming your patio, pool, or garden.
- Clean and refresh your plant containers. They can tend to get dirty and dull in the winter months, so give them a nice cleaning to renew their shine.
- Consider replacing your pillows and cushions. (Or having new cushion covers made.) Some fresh fabric can do wonders for the life of an outdoor space.
- Incorporate some color! Whether in pillows, plants, candles, vase fillers, or in the furniture itself, consider how you can bring life into your space with the use of new and bright color.